Friday, March 15, 2013

History of a Writer


The Curse of Frankenstein

by

Steven Hunley

In fifty-seven when I was ten my ‘other’ family took us to the drive-in movie and we saw the first color Frankenstein movie. I say ‘other’ because I had two families at the time. Long before I was old enough to remember, I had been one of Solomon’s babies, divided up.  I lived with one set of parents and on alternate weekends, visited the ‘other’. 

It was a bad setup, and if I’d had my way, the judge in all his wisdom, should have been shot or forced to read 1 Kings 3:16-28 , write it on the board, and made to wear pink, a much less serious color than his usual somber robes, to mark his twisted sense of humor.

The effect was that I felt comfortable with one set of parents and not with the ‘other’. As far as I was concerned, one knew me and the other one didn’t.  While with the ‘other’ I either felt I was on display, or worse, separated or cut off. After I’d gone to college and learned five years of English lit and sophistication I referred to it as the Sylvia Path or ‘bell-jar’ effect.

From two to eighteen I was ‘the boy with two lives’ and didn’t much care for one of them. After eighteen, I abandoned the ‘other’ one, and by twenty-two the set I loved and lived with had abandoned me. My mother took the lifeboat, or I should say deathboat, of Cancer, and in her way steered clear of me, and my dad jumped on the leaky boat of cerebral hemorrhage for his bloody way out,1 Kings 3:16-28.d what to say, or how to feel.ter.k the deathboat of Cancer and the other A cerebral hemorage,  leaving me, a wreck of unconsciousness, slowly sinking inch by inch into the depths of forgetfulness as icy and numbing as the North Atlantic.

I mean to say that fortunately or unfortunately, by that time I’d discovered Valium, and as a result, don’t remember one second of either of their funerals. I’ve never done public death well. I’ve never taken notes and memorized what polite thing to say, or how to feel. You’re never much good at consoling, when you’re an expert at loss. You’re just not made of the right material.

I should have scrounged a dog-eared a set of Cliff’s notes on death and dying, or boned up on Elizabeth Kubler Ross, but it’s too late, and goodbye to all that for now.


©Steven Hunley 2013


To be continued….

No comments:

Post a Comment